RedHeadGo's Bloggy von Blogenheimer

Feeling like a few words...

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I never thought I'd feel guilty voting for a Democrat for Prez, but I really didn't like casting my vote for Obama today. You've got to understand how completely conflicted I am. Obama, in my home life, represents a lot of values that I hold as far as abortion rights, health care, getting the hell out of Iraq, etc. However in my work life, he will be a nightmare of epic proportions. If you haven't heard of the Employee Free Choice Act, read a bit about it, he co-sponsored it. Basically it allows employees to unionize at the drop of a hat and it takes away the secret ballot process. Why is this bad... if you have five pissed off employees, who are paid well, but angry at management for anything from installing GPS in their vehicles, holding them accountable for productivity, pissed at the company for not giving them more than a cost of living increase, they can decide that they think it would be a good idea to form a union. To put a barrier in between themselves and the company. In the new process all the employees votes are in the open.

To be honest, if I was an employee and was being pressured to join, this would not be a good idea. That employee wouldn't be able to voice their vote in secret, it would be wide open for all to see how everyone voted. It also does not allow the employer to even interject on why they should stay union-free. I think these folks in power don't seem to understand that a) this is not good for employees and b) this will have a drastic ripple effect. Companies will do anything to remain union free, and that means many of them will just close up shop and move out of the country. It is a very dangerous proposition. I am not anti-union, but I handle workplace complaints all the time. People get so emotional that they do things hasty, without thinking it through first, and I'm afraid we'll see more of these split second decisions. There are some industries and companies (Wal-Mart is one), where pay is incredibly low, have a lot of EEO violations, that I think a union would be a good idea, but not the company I work for and I do, again believe this legislation is seriously bad news.

So, I wanted badly to write-in my vote for Dennis, but since I am so hardcore pro-choice and since Obama still does carry some of my values and because the other evil includes a witch from Alaska that would set back the women's movement 100 years, I did what I had to do. I just really wish one day there could be a candidate that people actually want to vote for instead of this constant voting based on the lesser of two evils. I really think we need more than two serious parties in this country. It's looking like Obama is going to hold this out, and I'm just not sure how I feel about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home