RedHeadGo's Bloggy von Blogenheimer

Feeling like a few words...

Monday, May 19, 2008

Was watching CNN this weekend with the husband and saw this story about homeless women in California. Most were middle class and lost their jobs or got divorced and pretty much cannot make enough to cover the cost of rent, so they live in their cars. This one lady had two dogs and just a whole lot of crap in her SUV and sleeps in it by night since her part-time job just isn't cutting it. Sounds like they have opened up some parking lots in the area for them to legally be able to sleep in and even have gated "women only" lots. So I'm watching this and thinking how badly it sucks for these women and they cut back to the so called "journalist" blond financial bitch at CNN whose first question was, "do these women sleep in view of the public?" This is after she makes a comment about how upscale that area in CA is. What the f kind of question is that? How incredibly insensitive and to be the first question out her mouth!? Does she think they are discarded trash and heaven forbid any waspy stupid bitch like herself has to gaze upon these poor people who can't afford to live somewhere that they once flourished? It was completely appalling and this is another reason why CNN is an absolute joke.

Prime example of the class divide. You have Ms. Princess "Journalist" who made every attempt to sound like these women should not be allowed to park in a lot because they aren't smart enough to keep a husband or a job in a terrible economy (I'm talking as her if you don't get it), but I'm sure she's worked just so hard to get where she is at 6' with a pretty face and beautiful blond hair. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but it really rubs me the wrong way to hear people with privilege act like they are better than someone else. It reminds me of a time back when I lived in Baltimore where my favorite news station was reporting on snow that morning. The two broadcasters were talking and really almost joking about these people who were walking without shoes on the street. It was one of these "walking without shoes, are they crazy, ha ha ha?" type bits, but laughing the whole way. I was so outraged and offended since I was working in a mental hospital at the time and the people they were talking about lived in a poor part of town. I wrote to the station and their GM apologized for their behavior. I think one of them even wrote me saying they didn't mean it that way. It was just so incredibly insensitive to joke about someone who either couldn't afford shoes in a snow storm or wasn't sane enough to realize they should be wearing shoes in a snow storm. It made me sick to watch.

When people diss on the mentally ill or disabled I just can't take it. I've yelled and hollered and tried to do my best to fight for them, but people still think it is perfectly acceptable to rag on anyone who isn't what they think is normal. Maybe because my cousin who died had CP, maybe because I know what its like to be not mentally healthy, but I just can't stand it when people make fun of those with a mental or developmental disability. It's not a choice. People don't choose to have Down's Syndrome. They don't choose to be schizophrenic. They were dealt a hand and are doing their best to deal with it. Maybe this journalist didn't chose to be a stupid bitch, but she can control it and needs to check herself because she makes idiotic comments about people who are just doing their best to get by. That could be her one day, and I guess she isn't smart enough to figure that out. Is just sad what passes for journalism these days, it is all commentary. I've never said and will never say that I'm a journalist, I'm way too opinionated. When you are on TV and delivering news, deliver the f'n news, stop putting your commentary and spin on everything. Curious George could do a better job than these jokers. Alright, my ire is up, I need to remember one of my favorite Embrace quotes, "emotions are nothing but politics, so get control." I'm trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home