RedHeadGo's Bloggy von Blogenheimer

Feeling like a few words...

Saturday, December 15, 2007

What a difference a day makes. The last few days in my city have been incredibly unseasonably warm (like wearing shorts warm). However, today, we go back to reality and drop about 25 degrees and stay there for months. Couldn't last forever I guess. Would be a tad weird to celebrate the winter solstice and it be like 70 degrees, so I won't whine.

Going through a tough time right now with my job. A co-worker of mine, who actually hired me years ago has tenured his resignation. When that happens, it can either be a good thing, or a hellish disaster. It's happened to me before and it has meant more responsibility, no additional compensation and headaches the size of Texas, which eventually resulted in me leaving that company. However, it could, this time, also mean that I would finally be titled what I should be titled, add more territory and get a promotion. The way it was phrased to me originally was that I was a shoe in and that my boss would just change the territories around between myself and the co-worker who remains. However, based on conversations I've had with him this week, his tune has completely changed. He is posting the job, doesn't know what is going to happen, might not even be the one making the decision, almost trying to scare me out of not being interested. Guess how I reacted to that one? If you said called my husband and cried for 20 minutes because I felt screwed over, you win! I can't go into too much detail on this, because I don't want to completely expose how I feel about this in case it would get to someone it shouldn't get to, however it is really just a completely disheartening feeling when you put in your time and your boss does a 180 on you like that. What I can tell you, if someone else is put into the job and is a straight replacement for my co-worker, I am completely and totally screwed (again). And that is something I'm not going to be satisfied with. Enough said.

We were watching Bill Moyers on PBS last night (had an Olbermann interview first) and he was talking about how the FCC went on this circuit tour to get public opinion about allowing big publishers to gobble up TV stations, newspapers and radio in the same market (i.e. cross-ownership). Right now this is regulated so that one group cannot own all three and pretty much dominate everything you hear, see and read in your market. However, the FCC is going to be voting on this next week and besides everyone and their mom coming out against this, they don't give a shit and are going to vote to allow this. This is what I cannot stand about our government. The people in these positions, whose tax money pays their salaries, do not give a shit about the people they serve. They are in it to win it, for their interests. How else can you explain when the country comes out in force and says NO, but they say Yes. Why do they even bother to ask when they are going to do the complete opposite of what everyone wants? It is completely infuriating. Thankfully a few people in Congress have taken this matter up and have a bill outstanding to slow down this vote. If you want to learn more about this, check out Reclaim the Media (can sign a petition there if you'd like) or the Post Article. To me, this is a very important topic.

We live in a world of corporate dominated society. The news you watch at night is made by the people who make the lights turn on in your house and let you fly on the plane to see your parents whose telephone is used to alert them to your presence at the airport. These huge companies own everything. And it would be incredibly scary for me to think that someone who prints the news you read in the morning, feeds the TV you watch at night and the radio you listen to during the day. What if that person had a completely subjective agenda? What if they wanted the world to hate Frosted Flakes. They would print the stores, have the soundbites, tell the folks on the radio to do stories on how awful Frosted Flakes are to get the point across that Frosted Flakes are bad. And after a while, people will keep hearing about these evil Frosted Flakes and get on the Frosted Flakes are bad camp. Obviously, this is a simple example, but it illustrates my point. We do not want all the media dominated by one company in each market, it is a terrible idea. If you agree, try and take action on this, sign that petition, make a call. Do something. We can't join the camp that it won't make a difference, we have to keep trying. Hopefully we only have one more year of this complete and utter bullshit. But when people tell me it doesn't matter if it's a Donkey or a Elephant in the big white house, look at the appointments the most retarded elephant in history has made and tell me it doesn't make a difference.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home