RedHeadGo's Bloggy von Blogenheimer

Feeling like a few words...

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Got back from super-awesome Ft. Myers a few hours ago. I love that place, could totally live there. Absolutely beautiful parks, the gulf beaches, ahhh, so nice. This time was able to get over to Sanibel Island, which is gorgeous (to the right). I could see myself going on vacation there for a few days. Everyone has bikes and tools around. The water was clear, birds plentiful and weather was perfect. I was siked to get to the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge. They have this four mile wildlife drive which basically winds through untouched little islands and marshland. I finally was able to see a ton of Roseate Spoonbills (to the left), which I've been trying unsuccessfully trying to find in Florida for quite a while. Still haven't seen much in the way of migratory birds, but maybe I'm just coming at the wrong time.

I did get to see two Kingfishers, which are these birds that, to me, look pre-historic and aesthetically are some of my favorite looking birds. I saw one once in Mobile, AL on an electric wire, however he freaked out when I got too close so my pictures were crappy. Was interesting to see them do their thing, which is a lot of high pitched cries, circling around an awful lot and being kind of menacing. I knew I liked them so much for a reason. I tried to take some pictures but they are totally insane in the air, don't seem to stop too much and fly really high up.

Tomorrow we head to see The Police. I have a running joke with my husband about the cost of the tour shirts, "don't stand so close to the $40 t-shirts," or "Roxanne, you can't afford this $40 t-shirt." All in good fun, considering I'll be forced to buy him one. He has a thing about buying tour shirts, even if he never wears them. Think the tradition started way back in the early 90's. I still want to compile a list of all the shows we've been to. Would be a long list, but when I'm 80 years old I want to remember that I saw Alice in Chains at the University of MD right before they got insanely huge or think back on touring around with ALL in PA.
Good memories to keep the fire in my eyes going.

Well, got to go. Have a good night and I'll be sure to debrief after the Police show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home