Sorry for the d-lay. Blogger is being kind of bitchy since I haven't signed up for the "new account" yet. Yeah, I'll do it soon I guess. This week has been a long one. I forgot how tiresome it is to be in the office for a full week when I've been traveling so much lately. Have some good trips coming up to Tampa next week, DC in a few weeks and New Orleans at the end of March. I will find myself in FL for most of April. There are much worse places to find yourself in April, say in the middle of a snowstorm in MN for example.
The more I talk to people the more I realize how completely different we are. I've heard the phrase "it takes all kinds," gotta subscribe to that theory. In my job I talk to people who have problems, its kind of what I do, what I diffuse. It is so interesting to hear some of the denial that comes out of the mouths of people. Arguing about policy infractions when they are so blatant is like someone who has a red shoe on arguing the shoe is blue. It is obvious to you, but they are in denial and they fight you on it. I am never surprised anymore. HR people have a lot of stories to tell, we are pretty entertaining at dinner.
Other than that, following the election race and got to say I'm not real fond of any of the Democrat front runners. Hillary is a joke, she sways her mind too much on the tide (and I don't like her denial of responsibility on the Iraq vote), Obama seems a little too faith-guided for me and lacks experience. I voted for Edwards in the primary and right now he's looking to be my pick. I don't love the fact that he lives in a crazy ass mansion, but you can't win them all. He seems like the most sincere and is the most qualified. What I said about Obama is a strong deal for me. I really dislike the mixing of religion and politics. I wish there would be a bang up agnost or atheist that would run for office, but the sad truth is, most of America wouldn't vote for them. We have this reputation as being misguided, unethical and lacking a moral compass.
I was listening to a show the other day on a local NPR station where they were talking to fellow atheists. It was kind of interesting listening to the way we were portrayed, "if they don't believe in god, where do they get direction." Um... from ourselves? From looking at the world and determining what is right and wrong. By taking responsibility for all our decisions. I have a real hard time when I hear people talk about "God's will" and "God's path." I think it absolutely detracts from personal responsibility. I think the world would be a much better place without religion if everyone would just agree to the golden rule.
It's to the point where I just can't understand a life of blind faith. It's such a foreign concept to me. I try and image how nice and easy life would be if I could just pray to make wishes come true. Or whenever something bad happens, think that there was a meaning to it. But I don't. If I mess up, its my fault, if I make the wrong choice, I have to try and learn from it. I choose to live the life I do and I know that some people reading this might feel sorry for me, but don't. There is a quote I like from a band I don't listen to much anymore, "you are responsible for your own actions in this life, whatever road you travel, will lead to where you are right now." I would rather live a life of hardcore personality responsibility that let something external guide my emotions, my decisions, my choices. I was lucky to start my lessons of right and wrong from some fantastic mentors in Washington, DC. People who were not of faith, who believed that your spirit, your emotion and your conscious should drive your decisions. Not what someone wearing robes, a collar or a tunic says is the right thing to do. And I guess my dislike for organized religion has just grown over the years. You can believe all you want and maybe one day someone will be able to explain the appeal to me.
Well, after I've insulted 99% of my audience, going to do leave you alone now. Maybe I'll be less cuckoo in the next post, we shall see.
The more I talk to people the more I realize how completely different we are. I've heard the phrase "it takes all kinds," gotta subscribe to that theory. In my job I talk to people who have problems, its kind of what I do, what I diffuse. It is so interesting to hear some of the denial that comes out of the mouths of people. Arguing about policy infractions when they are so blatant is like someone who has a red shoe on arguing the shoe is blue. It is obvious to you, but they are in denial and they fight you on it. I am never surprised anymore. HR people have a lot of stories to tell, we are pretty entertaining at dinner.
Other than that, following the election race and got to say I'm not real fond of any of the Democrat front runners. Hillary is a joke, she sways her mind too much on the tide (and I don't like her denial of responsibility on the Iraq vote), Obama seems a little too faith-guided for me and lacks experience. I voted for Edwards in the primary and right now he's looking to be my pick. I don't love the fact that he lives in a crazy ass mansion, but you can't win them all. He seems like the most sincere and is the most qualified. What I said about Obama is a strong deal for me. I really dislike the mixing of religion and politics. I wish there would be a bang up agnost or atheist that would run for office, but the sad truth is, most of America wouldn't vote for them. We have this reputation as being misguided, unethical and lacking a moral compass.
I was listening to a show the other day on a local NPR station where they were talking to fellow atheists. It was kind of interesting listening to the way we were portrayed, "if they don't believe in god, where do they get direction." Um... from ourselves? From looking at the world and determining what is right and wrong. By taking responsibility for all our decisions. I have a real hard time when I hear people talk about "God's will" and "God's path." I think it absolutely detracts from personal responsibility. I think the world would be a much better place without religion if everyone would just agree to the golden rule.
It's to the point where I just can't understand a life of blind faith. It's such a foreign concept to me. I try and image how nice and easy life would be if I could just pray to make wishes come true. Or whenever something bad happens, think that there was a meaning to it. But I don't. If I mess up, its my fault, if I make the wrong choice, I have to try and learn from it. I choose to live the life I do and I know that some people reading this might feel sorry for me, but don't. There is a quote I like from a band I don't listen to much anymore, "you are responsible for your own actions in this life, whatever road you travel, will lead to where you are right now." I would rather live a life of hardcore personality responsibility that let something external guide my emotions, my decisions, my choices. I was lucky to start my lessons of right and wrong from some fantastic mentors in Washington, DC. People who were not of faith, who believed that your spirit, your emotion and your conscious should drive your decisions. Not what someone wearing robes, a collar or a tunic says is the right thing to do. And I guess my dislike for organized religion has just grown over the years. You can believe all you want and maybe one day someone will be able to explain the appeal to me.
Well, after I've insulted 99% of my audience, going to do leave you alone now. Maybe I'll be less cuckoo in the next post, we shall see.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home