RedHeadGo's Bloggy von Blogenheimer

Feeling like a few words...

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Sorry I haven't written for a while. As you can tell, didn't have a great February. Pretty much same old same old, however the last day of the month taught me a very harsh lesson in meddling with nature. I was driving to the Lowe's to look at bird feeders and seed and took this back road that cuts across their loading dock but is still traveled by people cutting across the parking lot. There was some type of shore bird who was on the curb who looked like it was hurt. I double-parked my car right in front of a sign that sign No Trespassing (call that an Omen) and went to take a look. I went up to the bird and saw that its wing looked hurt. It got up when I approached and this tiny bird that looked identical to its mother but the size of a hand stood up next to her. I should have left, but the mother bird started to wander into the road dragging its wing. I was trying to chase her onto the grass. She kept going farther away, farther from her baby. I almost got hit by a few cars as the birds did not know what I was doing and kept going farther into danger. I turned back and saw the baby started to follow its mother in the street and was hit by a car. I couldn't believe that I just saw what I saw. This precious life was over because I thought I was doing the right thing. I didn't run the bird over, but I feel like I contributed to its death. The poor mother bird had no idea and keep calling to it. I got in my car and started to cry hysterically. I could not believe that my stupidity caused this bird to die. I felt like, and still do, that I killed that baby bird.

Anyone who knows me understands that the event would have traumatized me. I watch birds all the time. We spend our weekends in the summer watching birds. My feeder is always full and spent two weekends ago counting birds for the Backyard Bird Count. I've been a vegetarian for 12 years. I don't wear leather, I save bee's that fly into my house. I'll drive two hours out of the way to go to a Sanctuary. The whole thing made me feel so sick.

So, March comes along and I wake up this morning and hear this very loud cheeping coming from the deck. I peek outside and see a beautiful Blue Jay on the feeder. Never seen one in the wild before. Watched it for a bit and had to get to work. While I was on my two mile walk at lunch I saw a Great Blue Heron. I know this sounds stupid, and is probably a way for me to make myself feel better, but I feel like Mother Nature knows I didn't mean harm. Yeah, sounds stupid, I know. Maybe I feel comforted that nature rolls on, even when I killed one of its young, intentional or not.

Lesson learned, leave the birds alone. Won't forgot that one, ever. Other than that just working and trying to kick out the jams when I get home. Been exercising a lot. Think that is why I haven't lost my mind yet. Is easy to give up and sit home and grow fat watching TV and eating garbage, but I refuse to give in to that lifestyle. Would rather be healthy and alert and have energy. Feel better physically then I have in a while. Well, got to get going, 'tis getting to be close to my bedtime. Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home