First, I'll start with this, a new movie/documentary is coming out about Walmart and why everyone should stay far away. I haven't seen it, but because of Walmart's complete lack of respect for EEO laws and that you would be hard-pressed to find anything made in the USA in the store, I urge you to take in a screening. To find a screening in your area, go to the Walmart Movie Site.
Ok, that being said, let me move on to some selfish business. I saw one of the most amazing concerts in my 15 years of concert watching on Thursday. Ben Folds played with the BSO in my hometown (okay 5 minutes from my hometown) in Bethesda, MD at Strathmore Hall's new music center. That place is amazing! Is set up like an opera house, amazing acoustics, only wish it was open when I was growing up!
The stage was set up so Ben is in the center with his piano and the orchestra is all around him in the back on all sides. A full orchestra, not a handful of strings and some brass. As soon as they did a brief tune-up I was all smiles. I couldn't stop smiling! Ben Folds is probably my favorite artist. The man is musically gifted as well as being an incredible storyteller. To see him surrounded by other musically gifted people in a beautiful seating... was fucking Nirvana!
Here is the set-list with some commments:
1) Zak and Sara- the words Peavey Amp, bring back memories everytime I hear this song!
2) Smoke- because I live in the past, this is one of my favorite songs, made it better with the orchestra
3) Ascent of Stan- textbook Hippie man
4) One Angry Dwarf...- sounded awesome with the orchestra. This is a very fast paced song and they kept up very well. The orchestra highlighted so many awesome breaks in this song.
5) Annie Waits- another one of my favorites, sounded great with the strings!
6) Brick- sad as usual
7) Lullabye- sounded nice with the strings, but was just too slow for my taste
8) All U Can Eat (solo)- this song is off one of the EP's that came up a few years back. I adore this song for calling out Amercian's on the fat, selfish, pieces of poo that some of us are. My favorite line in the song, "God made us number 1 cuz' he loves us the best, why doesn't he go bless someone else for a while and give us a rest." Me and a few others were signing along to that one! Zing!
9) Gracie (solo)- told the story of his twins being born one day apart (was only a few hours, but late in the evening)
10) Philosophy- my anthem if I was ever to have a TV show and was walking down the street...
11) Fred Jones Part 2- this song is depressing as shit, but again, Ben shows off his gift of storytelling. We all can imagine the pain this man feels as he is given the pink slip and is replaced. Seems as though this song was written about a Chapel Hill newspaper editor who got fired after a very long tenure, so the story seemed.
12) Evaporated- not a favorite, but sounded good
13) Army- if you've ever been to a show, you know that Ben makes you sing during this one. The crowd always sounds great and he even had the orchestra involved in this sing-along. Classic!
14) Boxing- meh
15) Steven's Last Night- If you know me, you know that I am a drum slut. I love drums, I tried to hang out with drummers my whole life. The drums were just so tight and fucking perfect on this song, I shouted out when the percussionist was on a roll. Yes, I did. And wouldn't you know that after the song Ben gave a shout out to him? So, fuck y'all if you laughed at me!
16) Not the Same- another classic song, love the story behind this one. In his conversation to us about how religion and drugs meet on the other side, he also made a nod to the Prez's coke habit and born-again status. Fucking classic! Another sing-along, this one longer and stronger than Army.
17) Landed- yeah, it's a single, but sometimes there are reasons for that. The first time I heard the album, I listed to it on repeat at least three times. Beautiful.
18) Narcolepsy- sounded okay
Encore: The Luckiest- seemed too slow for an encore, but he wanted to give his wife a shout out I guess.
So, that was my night. I am so glad I arranged my schedule so I could go to this show. Yeah, the driving from Richmond to DC twice wasn't great, and staying at my parents house that really needs A LOT of work wasn't the most comfortable, but had a great time. If work wasn't kicking my ass and making me feel like I am moving three steps forward and going 10 steps back, maybe I could say I am actually happy. Wow, what a concept. I really do hope that he puts out a live album with these songs. I know he spent last night and tonight playing with the BSO in Baltimore. Maybe we can get a best of? A good show is better than anything I can imagine. Chocolate, puppies and cotton candy don't top it.
Ok, that being said, let me move on to some selfish business. I saw one of the most amazing concerts in my 15 years of concert watching on Thursday. Ben Folds played with the BSO in my hometown (okay 5 minutes from my hometown) in Bethesda, MD at Strathmore Hall's new music center. That place is amazing! Is set up like an opera house, amazing acoustics, only wish it was open when I was growing up!
The stage was set up so Ben is in the center with his piano and the orchestra is all around him in the back on all sides. A full orchestra, not a handful of strings and some brass. As soon as they did a brief tune-up I was all smiles. I couldn't stop smiling! Ben Folds is probably my favorite artist. The man is musically gifted as well as being an incredible storyteller. To see him surrounded by other musically gifted people in a beautiful seating... was fucking Nirvana!
Here is the set-list with some commments:
1) Zak and Sara- the words Peavey Amp, bring back memories everytime I hear this song!
2) Smoke- because I live in the past, this is one of my favorite songs, made it better with the orchestra
3) Ascent of Stan- textbook Hippie man
4) One Angry Dwarf...- sounded awesome with the orchestra. This is a very fast paced song and they kept up very well. The orchestra highlighted so many awesome breaks in this song.
5) Annie Waits- another one of my favorites, sounded great with the strings!
6) Brick- sad as usual
7) Lullabye- sounded nice with the strings, but was just too slow for my taste
8) All U Can Eat (solo)- this song is off one of the EP's that came up a few years back. I adore this song for calling out Amercian's on the fat, selfish, pieces of poo that some of us are. My favorite line in the song, "God made us number 1 cuz' he loves us the best, why doesn't he go bless someone else for a while and give us a rest." Me and a few others were signing along to that one! Zing!
9) Gracie (solo)- told the story of his twins being born one day apart (was only a few hours, but late in the evening)
10) Philosophy- my anthem if I was ever to have a TV show and was walking down the street...
11) Fred Jones Part 2- this song is depressing as shit, but again, Ben shows off his gift of storytelling. We all can imagine the pain this man feels as he is given the pink slip and is replaced. Seems as though this song was written about a Chapel Hill newspaper editor who got fired after a very long tenure, so the story seemed.
12) Evaporated- not a favorite, but sounded good
13) Army- if you've ever been to a show, you know that Ben makes you sing during this one. The crowd always sounds great and he even had the orchestra involved in this sing-along. Classic!
14) Boxing- meh
15) Steven's Last Night- If you know me, you know that I am a drum slut. I love drums, I tried to hang out with drummers my whole life. The drums were just so tight and fucking perfect on this song, I shouted out when the percussionist was on a roll. Yes, I did. And wouldn't you know that after the song Ben gave a shout out to him? So, fuck y'all if you laughed at me!
16) Not the Same- another classic song, love the story behind this one. In his conversation to us about how religion and drugs meet on the other side, he also made a nod to the Prez's coke habit and born-again status. Fucking classic! Another sing-along, this one longer and stronger than Army.
17) Landed- yeah, it's a single, but sometimes there are reasons for that. The first time I heard the album, I listed to it on repeat at least three times. Beautiful.
18) Narcolepsy- sounded okay
Encore: The Luckiest- seemed too slow for an encore, but he wanted to give his wife a shout out I guess.
So, that was my night. I am so glad I arranged my schedule so I could go to this show. Yeah, the driving from Richmond to DC twice wasn't great, and staying at my parents house that really needs A LOT of work wasn't the most comfortable, but had a great time. If work wasn't kicking my ass and making me feel like I am moving three steps forward and going 10 steps back, maybe I could say I am actually happy. Wow, what a concept. I really do hope that he puts out a live album with these songs. I know he spent last night and tonight playing with the BSO in Baltimore. Maybe we can get a best of? A good show is better than anything I can imagine. Chocolate, puppies and cotton candy don't top it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home