Zoinked! Just got back from a two day trip to Florida and can safely say I miss my husband and I miss my bed! I still haven't really figured out this travel business. Each time it's actually gotten worse. Probably more so because I somehow got a sinus infection, most likely from flying last week or maybe it was being in Newark, and I stupidly decided I could bring an over-the-shoulder bag instead of a roller. Duh, Karin, you saw a chiropractor for almost 9 months (and haven't gone since I've been here) because your neck and shoulders were on fire, what the fuck were you thinking carrying at 20 pound bag on your shoulders? Needless to say I paid dearly for that. Have these rocks in my shoulder and nervous as shit because my insurance doesn't kick in for another week. Hoping I can knock it out with some stretching and Advil. Last night was awful because of it. Nose destroyed, shoulders destroyed, neck destroyed, raining bloody hell and having to drive 2 hours to get to the next destination.
The trip itself was very rewarding as an HR professional. There are rare moments where you know that you are doing a great thing for your employee's, this was probably the first one I've had with my new company. The first week on the job I was involved in the RIF process (more commonly refered to as layoffs- difference is RIF's are permanent, you can re-called from a layoff- just kicking some HR lingo this Tuesday night). Very heavy shit and one of those things that comes with the territory, but that fact doesn't make it any easier to deal with.
Late last week my company decided it wanted to help our employees down in Ft. Myers and Orlando who got nailed by Hurricane Charley. My mission was to go down there and hand out the gift cheques we bought to the Orlando folks, ranging from $100 to $500. The beginning of the day was very frustrating because a) I'm a moron and screwed up my flight in a big way and 2) the gift cheques were hard to find, considering we had to buy $7,000 worth of them and had to fill out a slip for all 70. The end of the day got much better as we called the employee's in one-by-one and then went out to two of their homes to hand them out, met their families and saw some of the damage. The hurricane really killed a hell of a lot of trees. If front of all the yards the brush was piled up 10+ feet high. Many folks lost part of their roofs and fences were down everywhere. Luckily everyone was safe. I was with the District Manager for that location all day and you really get a sense of what this company is like when you see how much these managers care about their employee's. They see them an integral part of the workforce, not just slaves to the corporate dollar. Is refreshing!
So, now I'm home, writing this ditty, checking my mail and soon hopping in the shower and getting in bed to hang out with my husband. No, not like that, ok, maybe like that, who knows what the evening will bring. We watch TV from the bed, is much more comfie than the couch. And soon, member 3 of the family will be home as we are taking our dog back. He is going to stay with us for about 2-3 weeks until we decide what we are doing with his training. There is a trainer who has an intensive 3 week program, boards him during that time and does all the training. My Nana's headstone unveiling is the first weekend in October and I want us both to come, so we might time it that way. Take care and hope y'all are doing well (and yes, I have developed somewhat of a weird accent that goes in and out). Bizzzzare.
The trip itself was very rewarding as an HR professional. There are rare moments where you know that you are doing a great thing for your employee's, this was probably the first one I've had with my new company. The first week on the job I was involved in the RIF process (more commonly refered to as layoffs- difference is RIF's are permanent, you can re-called from a layoff- just kicking some HR lingo this Tuesday night). Very heavy shit and one of those things that comes with the territory, but that fact doesn't make it any easier to deal with.
Late last week my company decided it wanted to help our employees down in Ft. Myers and Orlando who got nailed by Hurricane Charley. My mission was to go down there and hand out the gift cheques we bought to the Orlando folks, ranging from $100 to $500. The beginning of the day was very frustrating because a) I'm a moron and screwed up my flight in a big way and 2) the gift cheques were hard to find, considering we had to buy $7,000 worth of them and had to fill out a slip for all 70. The end of the day got much better as we called the employee's in one-by-one and then went out to two of their homes to hand them out, met their families and saw some of the damage. The hurricane really killed a hell of a lot of trees. If front of all the yards the brush was piled up 10+ feet high. Many folks lost part of their roofs and fences were down everywhere. Luckily everyone was safe. I was with the District Manager for that location all day and you really get a sense of what this company is like when you see how much these managers care about their employee's. They see them an integral part of the workforce, not just slaves to the corporate dollar. Is refreshing!
So, now I'm home, writing this ditty, checking my mail and soon hopping in the shower and getting in bed to hang out with my husband. No, not like that, ok, maybe like that, who knows what the evening will bring. We watch TV from the bed, is much more comfie than the couch. And soon, member 3 of the family will be home as we are taking our dog back. He is going to stay with us for about 2-3 weeks until we decide what we are doing with his training. There is a trainer who has an intensive 3 week program, boards him during that time and does all the training. My Nana's headstone unveiling is the first weekend in October and I want us both to come, so we might time it that way. Take care and hope y'all are doing well (and yes, I have developed somewhat of a weird accent that goes in and out). Bizzzzare.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home