Made it to Charlotte. The drive wasn't too too awful, considering it was the first long-distance trip I ever had to drive, didn't kill me too much. Mike was like a sleepyhead most of the way. Had the XM Radio going the whole time, having something consistent helped a bit. Sounds goofy, but having that radio which is the same everywhere you go, I guess every bit of consistency when you are moving away is nice.
Drove for about 8 hours or so and stayed in Greensboro, NC for the night. Hotel was kind of icky, but we dealt with it. Got to our place around 10:45 on Thursday AM and the movers brought all our stuff in. We are total morons when it comes to moving. Everytime we move we wait to the last minute to do stuff and say, oh this won't be bad. Turns out it usually is. Had a ton of shit to do at the old place before we left, and left my PC/Monitor, a TV and some clothes, so that all had to get packed. If I had to do over again, I think I would have put our stuff in storage for 3 months or so and then had them move us to a house. The thought of having to do this again in 6 months is a freakin nightmare.
The new digs are ok. The neighborhood could be better. I don't think we thought it was in Charlotte, thought it was more suburban than it actually is. Charlotte is kind of a weird place. There really isn't a clear division between the city of Charlotte and the rest of Mecklenberg County (which Charlotte is a part of). I think we are used to Baltimore City is Baltimore City and Baltimore County is Baltimore County. Lines aren't clearly drawn here. We already discovered some nasty parts, unfortunately not too far from where we live. One of those things where you can turn left at the light, but don't turn right kind of deals. No left turns into and out of our property are allowed, which is so freakin stupid. And it's a 4 point fine on your license. Lots of really goofy kind of laws and regulations.
When we went to the rental office they told us it was a small, quiet community with mostly professionals. What it appears to be is an active community with a lot of recent college graduates. Noise is ok, but have heard some stuff. It's gated, however the gate has been open for 2 days because the sister property which is a fuck of a lot seedier than this place, is getting paved. I guess we are a little disappointed, but like we keep saying, we really had no other options as this place has a W/D and the only other one's that did were at least a $100 more a month.
That being said, the people down here are definately nicer, HOWEVER, they drive like fucking maniacs. Our first day here I saw two accidents on this road near us, each within 300 yards or so of the other. People drive too fast and take too many risks (i.e. not yielding). I'm super-caucious, some would say over, when I drive. Mike I worry about because he doesn't allow enough time/space sometimes. Hope is he ok with this morons.
Went to the pound yesterday and played with two dogs. One we loved on-line and couldn't wait to see. However when we got there he was HUGE, a lot bigger than in the picture, and when we went to play with him, he was so anxious, jumpy and totally non-affectionate. Mike wasn't able to control him at all. Would not work in our apt. The second dog we looked at, we really liked. He was about 8-10 months old. Smaller, cream colored, looked kind of like a fox (check out the photo). They aren't really sure what breed he is. Was picked up as a stray. We really liked him, however he jumped and bit a lot, super-affectionate though. Nothing to hard, just being playful. He is definately on our list. There is one other dog we are going to check out tomorrow. After that we are heading to a pet rescue in Columbia, SC (about an hour and a half away). They have a TON of puppies including Weimaraner mixes!!! Mike's logic is that if he is going to get a dog that isn't house-trained, he'd rather have a puppy. I kind of agree with that, however, puppies are a lot of work, and I won't be home a lot to help out. I think having a dog will do wonders for him, he really needs a companion. Is kind of heartbreaking sometimes.
Other than that, been out buying furniture, eating at some bomb-ass restaurants. Had lunch from the same place for 3 days in a row, really good, fresh food. Been to Jason's Deli twice, Steak and Shake once and our yummy Wolfman's Pizza once. There is one of those about 5 minutes from us! There is definately a lot to do in this area, I just wish it was a bit more suburban. I think this area suffers from having too many apartment complexes, some with really low rents, some with high, in the same area. Kind of mixes everything up in a really strange way. We are suburban folks, what can I tell you? We are going to start looking for a house in the next 2 months or so, don't mind if we have to drive longer as long as there are no apt. complexes and no bus lines. Am I being racist, no. I rode the bus for 25 years. But I also know mass transit brings a lot of bullshit and crime, seen it in Baltimore and don't want to be around it. Maybe I'm classist (if such a word exsits). Marx would hate me.
Watched the DNC this past week. Got to say it was such rah-rah-rah, was kind of sickening at times. But I guess that is the point. Juice everyone up for the big day. My brother is kicking ass and taking names. He signed up to register people to vote and has been canvassing local area's around DC. People seem into it, which is great. Not pushing his agency, which is Democratic, but just wanting people to get their voices heard. I thought Edwards speech was ok, Kerry's was kind of lacking, however we have to remember they are all politicans and watching their faces and movements was kind of like watching a 7th grader who buys friends with chewing gum. Say the right thing to everyone to get popular.
I think K/E have some good ideas about cutting tax cuts to companies who outsource overseas, as that is a fucking no-brainer that our monkey president will never in a cazillion years act on because of his insane conflicts of interest. The heathcare thing is something we've heard for years, haven't seen it. No Child Left Behind funding is a good idea, don't know much about it, but I know the Prez has been cutting funds and his chronies are lying about drop-out rates in Texas to make the public think cutting funds has no impact. I believe whole-heartedly that Kerry would never cut funding to veterans and would improve their healthcare, which is something I feel very strongly about. As far as the war, would like to get the troops the fuck out there, which I know isn't realistic, however I think Kerry would rely more on the support of the UN. If elected he is getting clusterfucked with this war and hopefully, as a vet he would have some sense. It really scares me to think our Commander in Chief bullshitted his way out of the service and so easily sends troops to war without proof. He should have let the inspectors finish, instead he sets out on this vendetta to correct a problem his father never fixed. And at the cost of how many lives now, has to be reaching or above 1,000? Just fucking sad. I can't even look at him, haven't been able to for years, he has such a horrible smirk about him. Like he knows he lost the election, and thanks to his brother he gets to live in a nice big house and play war. Fucking pathetic. Other countries must laugh at us. Alright, need to help Mike get my computer desk put together. Have a good night. Signing off from the dirty south.
Drove for about 8 hours or so and stayed in Greensboro, NC for the night. Hotel was kind of icky, but we dealt with it. Got to our place around 10:45 on Thursday AM and the movers brought all our stuff in. We are total morons when it comes to moving. Everytime we move we wait to the last minute to do stuff and say, oh this won't be bad. Turns out it usually is. Had a ton of shit to do at the old place before we left, and left my PC/Monitor, a TV and some clothes, so that all had to get packed. If I had to do over again, I think I would have put our stuff in storage for 3 months or so and then had them move us to a house. The thought of having to do this again in 6 months is a freakin nightmare.
The new digs are ok. The neighborhood could be better. I don't think we thought it was in Charlotte, thought it was more suburban than it actually is. Charlotte is kind of a weird place. There really isn't a clear division between the city of Charlotte and the rest of Mecklenberg County (which Charlotte is a part of). I think we are used to Baltimore City is Baltimore City and Baltimore County is Baltimore County. Lines aren't clearly drawn here. We already discovered some nasty parts, unfortunately not too far from where we live. One of those things where you can turn left at the light, but don't turn right kind of deals. No left turns into and out of our property are allowed, which is so freakin stupid. And it's a 4 point fine on your license. Lots of really goofy kind of laws and regulations.
When we went to the rental office they told us it was a small, quiet community with mostly professionals. What it appears to be is an active community with a lot of recent college graduates. Noise is ok, but have heard some stuff. It's gated, however the gate has been open for 2 days because the sister property which is a fuck of a lot seedier than this place, is getting paved. I guess we are a little disappointed, but like we keep saying, we really had no other options as this place has a W/D and the only other one's that did were at least a $100 more a month.
That being said, the people down here are definately nicer, HOWEVER, they drive like fucking maniacs. Our first day here I saw two accidents on this road near us, each within 300 yards or so of the other. People drive too fast and take too many risks (i.e. not yielding). I'm super-caucious, some would say over, when I drive. Mike I worry about because he doesn't allow enough time/space sometimes. Hope is he ok with this morons.
Went to the pound yesterday and played with two dogs. One we loved on-line and couldn't wait to see. However when we got there he was HUGE, a lot bigger than in the picture, and when we went to play with him, he was so anxious, jumpy and totally non-affectionate. Mike wasn't able to control him at all. Would not work in our apt. The second dog we looked at, we really liked. He was about 8-10 months old. Smaller, cream colored, looked kind of like a fox (check out the photo). They aren't really sure what breed he is. Was picked up as a stray. We really liked him, however he jumped and bit a lot, super-affectionate though. Nothing to hard, just being playful. He is definately on our list. There is one other dog we are going to check out tomorrow. After that we are heading to a pet rescue in Columbia, SC (about an hour and a half away). They have a TON of puppies including Weimaraner mixes!!! Mike's logic is that if he is going to get a dog that isn't house-trained, he'd rather have a puppy. I kind of agree with that, however, puppies are a lot of work, and I won't be home a lot to help out. I think having a dog will do wonders for him, he really needs a companion. Is kind of heartbreaking sometimes.
Other than that, been out buying furniture, eating at some bomb-ass restaurants. Had lunch from the same place for 3 days in a row, really good, fresh food. Been to Jason's Deli twice, Steak and Shake once and our yummy Wolfman's Pizza once. There is one of those about 5 minutes from us! There is definately a lot to do in this area, I just wish it was a bit more suburban. I think this area suffers from having too many apartment complexes, some with really low rents, some with high, in the same area. Kind of mixes everything up in a really strange way. We are suburban folks, what can I tell you? We are going to start looking for a house in the next 2 months or so, don't mind if we have to drive longer as long as there are no apt. complexes and no bus lines. Am I being racist, no. I rode the bus for 25 years. But I also know mass transit brings a lot of bullshit and crime, seen it in Baltimore and don't want to be around it. Maybe I'm classist (if such a word exsits). Marx would hate me.
Watched the DNC this past week. Got to say it was such rah-rah-rah, was kind of sickening at times. But I guess that is the point. Juice everyone up for the big day. My brother is kicking ass and taking names. He signed up to register people to vote and has been canvassing local area's around DC. People seem into it, which is great. Not pushing his agency, which is Democratic, but just wanting people to get their voices heard. I thought Edwards speech was ok, Kerry's was kind of lacking, however we have to remember they are all politicans and watching their faces and movements was kind of like watching a 7th grader who buys friends with chewing gum. Say the right thing to everyone to get popular.
I think K/E have some good ideas about cutting tax cuts to companies who outsource overseas, as that is a fucking no-brainer that our monkey president will never in a cazillion years act on because of his insane conflicts of interest. The heathcare thing is something we've heard for years, haven't seen it. No Child Left Behind funding is a good idea, don't know much about it, but I know the Prez has been cutting funds and his chronies are lying about drop-out rates in Texas to make the public think cutting funds has no impact. I believe whole-heartedly that Kerry would never cut funding to veterans and would improve their healthcare, which is something I feel very strongly about. As far as the war, would like to get the troops the fuck out there, which I know isn't realistic, however I think Kerry would rely more on the support of the UN. If elected he is getting clusterfucked with this war and hopefully, as a vet he would have some sense. It really scares me to think our Commander in Chief bullshitted his way out of the service and so easily sends troops to war without proof. He should have let the inspectors finish, instead he sets out on this vendetta to correct a problem his father never fixed. And at the cost of how many lives now, has to be reaching or above 1,000? Just fucking sad. I can't even look at him, haven't been able to for years, he has such a horrible smirk about him. Like he knows he lost the election, and thanks to his brother he gets to live in a nice big house and play war. Fucking pathetic. Other countries must laugh at us. Alright, need to help Mike get my computer desk put together. Have a good night. Signing off from the dirty south.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home