RedHeadGo's Bloggy von Blogenheimer

Feeling like a few words...

Friday, October 17, 2003

Looking forward to another good ep. of Degrassi tonight. Hmm... a 26 year-old and her 27 year-old husband watching a show for kids in the tweens and teens. I've been a Degrassi fan since I was 11 and watched them with my brother in the guest room on this bunk-ass old 20" color TV with rabbit ears. When I was 11 I didn't get much of it, but as I got older and I watched the shows on re-runs as I ate my veggie cheesesteak (onions and provolone), alone in the house (parents used to go out every Saturday) I began to understand the very dark but real storylines. Abortion, suicide, rejection, etc., etc. Degrassi was one of the only shows, and still is, that doesn't sugar-coat adolescence. Adolescence completely fucking sucks. When you are in middle school you feel like the biggest freak in the world. No one explains what the hell is going on with your body, why your classmates have big boobs, and you have mere nips. High school is just weird. Degrassi kind of eased me into the culture shock of high school. Yeah, I was still very naive, but at least having seen Catilyn deal with bi-sexual issues made that seem not so shocking when I saw it first-hand on early trips to Dupont Circle going to shows in the park. There was something so great about that show, you didn't want your parents to see you watching it, because the just didn't get it.

The new episodes are just as embarrassing as some of the older ones. We like to watch for sheer entertainment and for the fact that some of the old characters (Snake, Spike, Joey and Caitlyn) are now featured characters on the show. The show had about a 8-10 year hiatus, but came back on in 2001 or 2002 (?) on Noggin. The older shows were shown on PBS, since there is no way those topics would have made it on a network. I wish the new shows would be on PBS, as all kids should have access to this show. The new series is centered around Emma Nelson, Spike's kid, who was a baby when I watched, but now is all grown up and in the 9th grade. Pretty fucking goofy, but it kills time and makes us laugh, can't say that about much of the garbage on TV now. Futurama is gone, Family Guy is gone, Buffy is gone, Simpsons season doesn't start until November. We really like Reno 911, that's probably the only new show we are into. Boo on TV this year!

Having more dreams where my teeth are falling out, they are the worst. In my dream last night my teeth were falling out only halfway and there are these weird fang/cavity things going on in my mouth. I woke up with this huge canker sore in my cheek, I wonder what the hell I did when I was dreaming last night. I remember once back in my early college years I was home on break and had this dream that I was in a soccer match (I played for over 10 years) and I remember waking up because I had just kicked the shit out of my wall! A side-ways karate chop kick, that was very lame and scared the piss out of me. If I ever was a sleep-walker, there would be big trouble.

Listening to Weight by the Rollins Band. I can't even tell you how many times I listened to this album back from '94-95, the poor disc is worn to shit (not as bad as End of Silence though). Henry was (and in some ways still is) this creature that I always admired, viewed as a role-model, a hero. I figured he got the fuck out of D.C., maybe I could too. This album was my voice a few times, especially the track Alien Blueprint. Back then I was headphone girl, had them with me all the time. I carried this album with me always. That song was soothing to me. Basic message is that people are going to fuck with you, and you cannot let their twisted games and bullshit make you less worthy as a human being. They will try everything they can to make you feel like shit, to stab you in the back, to make you feel like their inadequacies are your fault. You can't waste your time on people who are toxic to you. My favorite line in this song and one of my favorite Rollins lines is "the best revenge is to always survive yourself." I was going through my first real break-up and I remember that line as my mantra. I went to see the band in late '95 and I made my own shirt, Search and Destroy sun logo on the front and that saying on the back. Made me feel like I had some power, even though on the inside I was still destroyed.

I have always had a few sides to me. In one sense back then I used to have to have people around me at all times. I was on the phone with my friends or with my friends all the time. However, there were some times where I could not stand to be around anyone, even my best friends. I couldn't deal with anyone or anything. I remember going to all these Lollapalooza shows and I was so much happier by myself, I had to be able to escape. On somedays I would walk myself from the Rockville Metro station to the White Flint Metro station (3 miles) because I needed to pound the pavement, get some air and escape for a while. I remember on the weekends I would wake up at 9AM and my friends wouldn't get up until 11 or 12, I was so bored. Then I discovered Positive Force D.C. and started spending my Saturday mornings going to meetings, serving meals on wheels and planning and working at concerts. That was saving grace, gave me something to do, something positive, with some of the coolest people I've ever met. It gave me a chance to get to know a lot of older people, see what things I considered acceptable, and build my life on those values. These were people who used their free time to help better other people. As I finally am into the working groove full-time, I realize how exhausting that must have been for them, they devoted so much time to helping people, it amazes me now. I guess my energy is just zapped to shit right now and it makes me feel like I'm not being true to myself. I need more action in my life. I am hoping that a move is in our future, something that will get us off our asses and do something with our lives, I can't imagine this being it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home